On the Methodology and History of Economics
The following are assorted links on the history and methodology of economics.
Tracts on the "Scope and Method" of Economics (in chronological
- Essays on Some Unsettled Questions of Political Economy,
by John Stuart Mill, 1844
- The Character and Logical Method of Political Economy,
by John E. Cairnes, 1857.
- "The Method and Province of Political
Economy", by Simon Newcomb, 1875,
North American Review
Economy a Science -- of What?" by Lyman Atwater, 1880, Princeton
- "The Method of Political
Economy", by D. McG. Means, 1883, New Englander and Yale review
- The Scope
and Method of Political Economy, by John Neville Keynes,
Theorizing and Scientific Progress" by Jacob Hollander, 1916, AER
- "Tendencies in Economic
Theory - Discussion", 1916 AER
Historical Approach to Economics", by Isaac A. Loos, 1918, AER
- "The Psychological Basis for the Economic Interpretation of History"
by William F. Ogburn, 1919, AER
- "The Psychological Basis for the Economic Interpretation of History:
Comment" by Frank A. Fetter,
- "The Institutional Approach to Economic
Theory" by Walton H. Hamilton, 1919, AER
Theory--Discussion", 1919, AER
- "Price Economics Versus Welfare Economics",
by Frank A. Fetter,1920, AER
- "Price Economics Versus Welfare Economics: Contemporary Opinion",
by Frank A. Fetter, 1920, AER
- "A Revaluation of Traditional Economic
Theory", Carl E. Parry, 1921, AER
in Non-Euclidian Economics", by John Maurice Clark,
Economic Theory - Discussion", 1921, AER
- "Measurement without
Theory", by Tjalling C. Koopmans, 1947, REStat.(PDF)
- "A Reply to Vining",
by Tjalling C. Koopmans, 1949, REStat.(PDF)
- .A Modest Proposal for Some Stress on Scholarship in
Graduate Training, by Jacob Viner,
1950 (PDF version)
- "The Non-Econometrician's
Lament" by Dennis H. Robertson
Theory and Mathematics: An appraisal", by Paul A. Samuelson,
1952, AER (PDF)
- "Recent Developments in Mathematical Economics and Econometrics: An Expository
Session", 1953, American Economic Review(PDF)
- "Selected Topics in Economics Involving Mathematical
Reasoning" by Tjalling C. Koopmans
and A.F. Bausch, 1959, SIAM Review(PDF)
- "Is the Theory of Competitive Equilibrium With It?",
by Tjalling C. Koopmans, 1974, AER.(PDF)
Economic Equilibrium: Purpose, analytic techniques, collective choice",
by Kenneth J. Arrow, 1974, AER.
and Unemployment", by Milton Friedman,
- "The Use
of Models: Experience and prospects", by Jan Tinbergen,
Constitution of Economic Policy", by James M. Buchanan,
- "Economic Theory in a Mathematical Mode: the Nobel lecture",
by Gerard Debreu, 1984, AER.
- "The Mathematization of Economic Theory",
by Gerard Debreu, 1991, AER.
- "The Pure and the
Applied: Bourbakism comes to America", by E.Roy Weintraub and Philip
Mirowski, 1994, Science in Context
- "The Irony
In/Of Economic Theory" by M. Ali Khan, 1993, MLN
- Critique of Economic Reason
by Kenneth M. Stokes (1992)
- A Metatheoretical Discourse
by Kenneth M. Stokes
Austrian Economics Have a Useful Future?" 1997 Presidential Address
to SDAE by Karen I. Vaughn (MS Word)
- "Notes on the Meaning of 'Competition' in Economic Thought"
(from lecture by Louis Makowski, 1983) at Co-opetition.
Chicago Counter-Revolution and the Sociology of Knowledge" by
Robert Leeson, 1997
- "The State of Modern Economics" by Mark Blaug, 1998, Challenge
- "The Problem with Formalism', by Mark Blaug, 1998, Challenge
- "Economics, Philosophy
of" by Daniel Hausman, 1998, from Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- "Philosophy of
Economics" by Daniel Hausman, (for IESS)
- "Modern Economics and its Critics, 1",
by Partha S. Dasgupta, 1998
Macroeconomic Believable?" by Ben Bolch, 1998, Independent Review
- "On the Relationship between History and
Economics: the Influence of German Economic Culture in Italy" by Piero
Barucci, 1999, SdPE
- "The Use of
Mathematics in Economics" by Sheila Dow
- Economic Theory and Methodology - course by Steve
Keen at Western Sydney
Steve Keen, 2000/1
On History of Economic Thought as a Discipline
Some Old Histories of Economic Thought
- Histoire de l'économie politique en Europe (Volume 1, Volume
2) by Adolphe-Jérôme Blanqui,
- Les progrès de la science économique depuis Adam Smith : révision des doctrines économiques
2) by Maurice Block
- Dictionnaire de l'économie politique (Volume
2 ) of Charles Coquelin, 1852.
- Nouveau dictionnaire d'économie politique (Volume1,
by Léon Say and Joseph Chailley, 1900
British Economists by John Shield Nicholson, 1907.
On Economics in the "Real World"
- "Does Studying Economics Inhibit Cooperation?"
by Robert H. Frank, Thomas Gilovich, and Dennis T. Regan, J of Econ
- "What Do
Economists Contribute?" by Daniel Klein, 1999
- "Can Economists Save Economics?"
by Richard Parker, 1993, American Prospect
- "Beware of Economists Bearing
Advice" by Daniel Hausman, 1997, Policy Options (PDF)
- "The Surrender of Economic
Policy" by James K. Galbraith, 1996, American Prospect
- "Summers's Day: Should an economist be in charge of the economy?
" by John B. Judis, 2000, New Republic
- Political Origins of Neoclassical Economics by Carl
- "Les économistes ont-ils une aversion pour la démocratie ?"
by Gilles St Paul, Catallaxia
Archives of Essays and Editorials on HET and Methodology
Assorted Links on Economics
- Book review of
Kadish and Tribe (eds), The Market for Political Economy.
- "Why Look
Under the Hood?" by Daniel Hausman, 1992, from Philosophy of Economics
it Again, Samuelson", 1997, The Economist
- "What in the world happened
to economics?", 1999, Fortune
- "Le capitalisme est-il réformable?"
by Bernard Levasseur, 2000, Esprit
On Economics Teaching